How to Apply
Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
Each year the Foundation awards two 4-year scholarships and four 2-year scholarships to high school seniors whose parent or legal guardian is employed by a California winegrape grower. The two 4-year scholarships provide a total of $8,000 each for any campus in the University of California or California State University system. The four 2-year scholarships provide a total of $2,000 each at any California community college.
“Ever since I was little I have had this dream of one day owning a huge piece of property so that I could have a vineyard and a big garden for my community. This desire comes from a long line of California farmers in my family. I want to make wine because there is something deep down inside of me that yearns for the ability to take Godâ€™s bounty and turn it into something else.”
Featured image above: Madison shares her excitement for college and the future.
Students must be a current graduating high school senior to apply and may study the subject of their choice. Students currently enrolled in college are not eligible to apply. For students to be eligible and remain eligible for this scholarship, they must be enrolled in 12 or more units per semester with satisfactory grades.
Only the children with a parent or legal guardian employed by a California vineyard during the current or previous winegrape growing season are eligible to apply. However, children with a parent or legal guardian employed by a California winegrape grower may request a waiver from this eligibility requirement based upon financial need.
Current directors or employees of the Foundation or their children are not eligible to apply.
To qualify for the scholarships, students must:
- Be graduating from high school and planning to attend a California four-year university/state college or a two-year community college in the fall;
- Have a parent or legal guardian who was employed by a California winegrape grower during the current or past growing season;
- Complete the application;
- Attach an official high school transcript;
- Provide a letter of recommendation from an instructor, school principal or counselor that includes their signature and provides the address, telephone number and position held at the school;
- Submit a 500 word essay (approximately 2 pages, see application for details);
- Attach a copy of your SAT or ACT results if you are applying for a 4-year scholarship
The Selection Process
The board of the California Wine Grape Growers Foundation will award the scholarships. Selection is based upon financial need, demonstrated scholastic ability, community involvement and leadership and/or work history and determination to succeed.
Community involvement, leadership, and/or work history is a broad category that assumes one or a combination of the following:
- Community service;
- Employment where the student is making a contribution to the California economy which may not allow time for community service;
- Sports participation with the understanding that these activities build character and leadership skills, teach strategic and analytical thinking and promote goal setting and teamwork.
To apply for the California Association of Winegrape Growers Foundation scholarship, you must complete the application below:
2018 CAWGF Scholarship Application
This application is for a student planning to attend a four-year university or two-year college, and we must be able to verify a parent or legal guardian is/was employed by a California vineyard during the current or previous winegrape growing season.
2018 Robert Miller Scholarship Application
This application is for a Central Coast student enrolling or currently enrolled in CalPoly, San Luis Obispo or Alan Hancock Community College, and planning to study viticulture and/or enology.
Please make sure your application is complete and POSTMARKED by Friday, March 16, 2018.
California Association of Winegrape Growers Foundation
1121 L Street, Suite 304
Sacramento, CA 95814